Sorry for the long delay, I had the flu the second I got home from DC for Thanksgiving and have been recovering ever since.
The flu I had was very strange though. I guess its the “strain” that is going around this year. I didn’t get sick or have bad bowel movements like you usually do. I had sharp, and i mean SHARP, stomach pains, fever, aches (I was super sore for no reason), weakness, nausea, and tired all the time. Yeah, I know it sounded like MONO to me too, but after fighting the flu for 5 days then finally sucking it up and going to the doctors… she told me it was the 7 day flu.
Anyways, I am all better know and just trying to gain my strength back and getting into my weekly work routine! Sadly, with the flu it caused me to lose a few pounds….not eating much will do that to ya, so my body has been out of wack this whole week. I have been snacking and craving carbs like no other. Which is good because when I went to the doctors my BMI / weight was actually recorded as underweight…so I am trying to gain at least 10 pounds. I know…. what women in their right mind would want to gain weight? Me my friend, right over here. However, I want to do it the healthy way….maybe even try to add some more muscle weight instead of fat weight! We will see which comes first as one of my goals of 2014 :)!
Speaking of goals, I thought it would be fun to reflect on the ones I set in 2013 to see how far I have come…or didn’t come!
13 goals of 2013
- Run a 5k – Ran the St. Pattys Jingle with a friend on St. Patrick’s day.
- Run a 10k – Unofficial but I count it because I ran 6.2 miles without stopping
- Run a half marathon – Sadly, I signed up for one to do when I came back to college after my internship in early Spring… but after training for it on a treadmill all winter, running outside gave me shin splints real fast. So I had to cancel the Athens half marathon. However, I unofficially ran 13.2 miles in October, so I am checking this off my list too.
- Squat my weight – Still working on this one. Im only around 105 squat weight. Almost there!
- Gain semi-ish abs – Done! I didn’t want the full on 6 pack, that just doesn’t look right to me on a women. Good for you if you have a 6 pack though, thats such a hard thing to accomplish as a women because we carry much more fat then men! However, I achieved the sculpt look I wanted late 2013… of course not during bikini season.
- Swim a mile – This was accomplished when I got shin splints and took on some cross training until they went away. I took on swimming because it was the 2nd best form of cardio I know. I used to swim a lot when I was a lifeguard, but just got back into it during my shin splint time. It took me a few weeks, but I was finally able to do it! Boy, was it tiring and super hard to do…for me at least.
- Reduce my bulk running leg look – I should just accept the fact my legs will always be “bulky”. I have runners legs and I am proud…ish. Aka not accomplished in 2013
- Eat Clean / Paleo – I started this journey when I got my first job after college and could afford more groceries and clean eating foods. I tried to “eat healthy” as much as I could in college, but typically frozen healthish meals and vegetables were all the fit the college budget. Now, I have made many paleo or clean meals and am loving every minute of cooking and trying new things!
- Try cooking more meals / eating out less – Again, accomplished after college. I am loving making meals at home….then again I also love finding “clean” / paleo / vegan / raw restaurants around Columbus and getting take out.
- Run a marathon- Honestly, I think I could accomplish this if I wanted too… but I think it is rediclious the amount of my money they charge to sign up for a marathon. All you recieve is a t-shirt and a medal… That is not worth 150$. I would however pay for a special marathon like Disney Princess or Rock and Roll because there is much more to it! Sadly, you need to sign up a year + in advance to get into those. Ugh
- Eat less sugar / sweets – I think I need to accept the fact that sugar and sweets will always be somewhat in my life. I did the 21 sugar detox and still avoid things like stevia or dairy that I use to regularly have in my coffee / greek yogurt. That was doable for me. But, the whole giving up FROYO / mugcakes / sweets at work parties was just too hard. I love having FROYO on saturday nights. Yet, I know it sparks a sugar rush in my body because I have is to rarely and I tend to have a bunch of treats beyond my froyo…. but hey one of my goals for 2014 is to gain some type of weight so maybe I’ll take the guilt away for a while and no care as much. I really need to accept that If I eat 80% clean (which I normally always do), then 20% of the time I can have what I want, aka sweets. There’s another goal for 2014.
- Try new types of workout classes – I guess I can say I accomplished this one lol – I’ve tried yoga, hot yoga, barre, rowing (yes its a class), body pump, rpm, and cross-fit. All were awesome types of classes. I wish I made more money where I can make them regular things I do… One day.
- Take personal time and work on being more happy- This again will always be a journey for me. I am the type of person once I reach a goal, I make a new one right away. I have accomplished so many goals above that I should be happy about and even celebrate. However, I haven’t celebrated my accomplishments as much as I should. Not only fitness and health related but socially, professionally, and academically, this year was the biggest change of my exsistance. I went from an internship, to graduating a year early, to moving to a city on my own, to starting my first real job. I should be so happy with myself, but here I am already making new goals for myself to be better. I can’t say its a bad thing I am like this, but I really need to stop and be happy for where I am. I think I am going to schedule a massage or a
whole bottle of wine to myselfsomething to celebrate. Maybe even schedule a vacation when I get more vaca time at work :).
Since this post is already long enough, I will stop there. Reflecting on my 2013 goals was a great thing for my personal self. My blog is not only about sweats and sweets, but the self part is a huge aspect too. We should all focus on ourselves just a little more…. if we aren’t mentally or psychically happy how can we make the ones we love around us happy? Just some food for thought!
What were your 20113 goals? Did you accomplish any? Are there some you still need to work on for next year?